Subject: Re: Style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1997 12:37:29
Thus spake Scott Reynolds
> On Tue, 27 May 1997, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that we have to be backwards
> > compatible to older compilers when we will never compile NetBSD with anything
> > but the Gnu compiler that it comes with.
>
> This assumes that one would have to compile (and quite probably test) gcc
> on a new target platform before starting a NetBSD port.  I'd consider it
> inadvisable, at least.

Well, gcc is basically a separate product and it does go to pains to make
sure it can be compiled on non-ANSI machines.  Once gcc has been ported
(assuming it isn't already) then the rest can use it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain                           |  Democracy is three wolves
darcy@{druid.net|vex.net}                  |  and a sheep voting on