Subject: popclient 3.0 bug - heads up!
To: current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1997 20:14:50
I'm not sure what changed in NetBSD 1.2E, but it broke popclient-3.0

After much headache, I discovered that popclient attempts to modify the
argv[] array that was passed to it - actually it tries to put more
"arguments" at the end!  This seems to just happen to overwrite the
process's environment space, so all subsequent getenv() calls fail and
return a null pointer, which gets passed to strlen() which barfs with a
segmentation fault!

If anyone is interested, I'll put the changes up for ftp access.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |