Subject: Startup problems in NetBSD 1.2E ??
To: current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1997 11:53:27
After finally updating my system completely to 1.2E, I noticed that
several programs referenced during startup had problems.  They all
complained about "/usr/libexec/ /usr/lib/ not found"
(or something very similar).

The utilities in question are:  syslogd, named, portmap, nfsd, and nfsiod.
There might be more, but these are the ones that my system tries to start.

Anyway, I figured out that the problem is because /etc/rc clears out
/var/run and that includes removing any old file.  All of the
above programs are started by /etc/rc before the file is
recreated with ldconfig.  Restarting the programs manually, after the file
is recreated, succeeds.

So, should the call to ldconfig be moved, or did I somehow build all of
these utilities incorrectly (ie, missing a -static in the Makefile)?  And
if the invocation of ldconfig gets moved, we should also move the "mount
-a -t nfs" line in case anyone is using nfs for their /var partition!  :)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  | |