Subject: Re: IP masquerade
To: Tom T. Thai <>
From: Dave Burgess <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1997 10:41:52
> does NetBSD do IP masquerade?

>From my understanding, IP-NAT (Network Address Translation) might do
some; I'm a little unclear on the actual implementation of the software,
but it might do what you need.

If you are looking for "on the fly" translation for a firewall, you
might look into Juniper (assuming you want to run 1.2.1 and can install
the patches).  I've been using it for a few months to translate the
couple of IP addresses on my local (non-routable) net to my ISP.  It
"just works"; no SOCKS, no changes to client machines, very minimal
setup.  It also provides firewall and other features.

Look for "".  If there is enough interest, they
might even try an interim service pack for a fairly recent version of
-current (the changes that added the IP NAT functionality made
integrating the latest service pack somewhere between hard and
impossible for me).

Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom
"Just because something is stupid doesn't mean there isn't someone that
doesn't want to do it...."