Subject: /var/mail vs /var/spool/mail
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/1997 17:34:28
Why is user email stored in /var/mail instead of /var/spool/mail?

What is the purpose of /var/spool? When machines are news servers, where
does the news go /var/spool/news?

It seems like spool is meant to be considerably larger than /var, so why
is mail stored by default on /var/?

Anybody feel like explaining exactly what "spool" means, anyway?

Just wondering.

And while I'm here: Why do so many Unix installations that will never ever
use UUCP still come default with uucppublic drwxrwxrwx? Isn't that just
asking for abuse?
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM              -
XCOMM              Spoken by Keir Finlow-Bates:
XCOMM "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"