Subject: Re: com problem with -current
To: None <boyns@sdsu.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/1997 03:56:06
>From: Mark Boyns <boyns@sdsu.edu>
>
>I resurrected an old 386, installed a 16550 (com2) and 3Com 3C509,
>installed NetBSD 1.2.1 and started using it as a ppp server.  I then
>decided to try -current to fix silo overflow problems.  With -current,
>whenever the modem tries to answer, the getty on com2 somehow makes
>the send/receive lights go solid and the phone is never answered.
>This is with a usr sportster using hardware flow control, which worked
>fine under 1.2.1.  With a Supra the phone is answered but it still
>can't properly establish a connection.
>
>I see the same behavior on a dell p100 with -current.  Also, when
>connected to with tip, the modem does answer successfully.
>
>For now I've reverted to 1.2.1 to get the link going again.  Is anyone
>else experiencing this?  Any suggestions?

I am using a -current system with a USR 28.8 external.  It answers the
line without any trouble.

Make sure you have the dip switches set to:
11101110
Or in English:
DTR normal
Verbal result codes
Suppress result codes
No echo, offline commands
Auto answer on first ring
Carrier detect normal
Load NVRAM defaults
Smart mode

Additionally, make sure you have done a "AT&F1" and "AT&W" to switch
on hardware flow control and save those settings.

One other thing... I haven't had any luck at any com port speed
setting other than 38400.

Here's my /etc/ttys entry:
tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"	unknown on rtscts

Cheers,
entropy