Subject: Re: Hey, netatalk is nifty! :) (plus a question 'bout it)
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/19/1997 11:29:51
On Sat, 17 May 1997, Dave Huang wrote:

> I added netatalk to my kernel and compiled the userland stuff, and it
> works great! My thanks to those who ported it :)

Thanks! I'm glad it works well. :-)

> atalkd is kinda slow to start up though... is that normal, or do I have
> something misconfigured? Here's what I get in my log file:

  [snip]

> It's not too big of a deal, but it is mildly annoying waiting 30 seconds
> to a minute for atalkd to start up when the rest of the daemons start in
> just a few seconds :) (I rarely reboot the router, but I do reboot the
> other machine often, switching between NetBSD and Windows NT)

That's the way atalkd works... :-( Though I'd expect the non-router'd come
up a little faster than the router, as the router's around to answer zone
replies. But atalkd's designed to be slow (it has to time out on some
stuff).

I _think_ it'd be ok to have the rc.atalk script run in the background.
You MUST have atalkd up before the other stuff fires up, but the other
system daemons don't really need to wait.

Take care,

Bill