Subject: Re: Documentation/languages...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1997 22:03:31
> > } Also, does anyone object to C9X alignment when the C9X draft comes
> > } out?  Since NetBSD is one of the systems being used to show that
> >
> >      I heard a rumour that C9X is going to drop support for K&R style
> > C.  Is this true?  If so, then I would strongly object.

> Yes, it is.  Or rather, it is very likely.

> What does K&R buy you?

Obviously the ability to compile ancient programs without rewriting them.
Spice 3, for example, is about 6MB of K&R code.

The two main questions I would have are how difficult it would become to host
a C70 (:-) compilation system on a NetBSD system (how incompatible would
libraries become from a calling-convention point of view) and whether GCC
will go C9X and whether it will provide a backward compatibility mode if
it does.