Subject: Re: Documentation/languages...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1997 18:57:52
Yes, it is.  Or rather, it is very likely.

What does K&R buy you?  There's no way any significant part of NetBSD
will ever compile on a pre-ansi compiler anyway, and gcc is free and
widely available.

So far, implicit int is *gone*, and old-style functions have been
straw-voted out, although the formal proposal has not yet happened.

While I sort of like the old-style definitions for appearance, the
old-style declarations (no arg info) are unacceptable for a serious
project, and the semantics of old-style definitions are wrong for
modern compilers.  I wouldn't object to a proposal under which
an old-style definition behaved like a prototype, but many of the
members of the committee would, so we probably won't get one.  :(

-s