Subject: Re: EIDE -> SCSI adapter
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1997 00:09:03
> how hard would it be to make an EIDE -> SCSI adapter (similar to the
> Emulex MD21 thingy that Sun used to use to make ESDI look like
> SCSI), and does one exist for sale now?

What would you want it to do?   Keep the CPU less busy?

Unfortunately, for my purposes, it doesn't help to have a SCSI disk
for my laptop unless I have a SCSI controller as well.   And
unfortunately, these days laptops don't do SCSI.   Sigh.   I think the
answer to this one is that we have to wait until people start bitching
about I/O performance on laptops, which won't happen as long as the
market continues to be obsessed with faster and faster laptop CPUs.

Sigh.   As the press used to say to George Bush, ``it's the I/O
throughput, dummy!''

			       _MelloN_