Subject: Re: ARGH!!! Did anyone else get destroyed by libc ...12.14?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1997 21:16:10
On Fri, 16 May 1997, Peter Seebach wrote:

.. libc.so.12.14 causes *EVERYTHING* to dump core; unfortunately, I can't
.. tell whether it conflicts with my kernel or my old binaries.
..
.. If I remove it, I can at least get getty to run, but everything on
.. the system claims it expects a minor version >= 14.  (Well, nearly
.. everything)>
..
.. I noticed because my "make build" got aborted at libcompat with a fairly
.. cryptic message about files with garbage in their names.

Are you on a m68k platform? Some of the string functions were updated
a couple of days ago for m68k bases ports. After installing libc with
these changes, "everything" stopped working, and I had to remove
libc.so.12.14. Luckily I had a previous version left over in /usr/lib.

With todays SUP, I have rebuilt libc again, and now it is usable again.

I have seen this on NetBSD/mac68k, but any m68k bases port should be
equally affected.

regards
Erik Bertelsen.