Subject: Re: ARGH!!! Did anyone else get destroyed by libc ...12.14?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1997 10:47:15
On Fri, 16 May 1997 09:58:14 -0400
 "John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com> wrote:

 > > libc.so.12.14 causes *EVERYTHING* to dump core; unfortunately, I can't
 > > tell whether it conflicts with my kernel or my old binaries.
 > > If I remove it, I can at least get getty to run, but everything on
 > > the system claims it expects a minor version >= 14.  (Well, nearly
 > > everything)>
 >
 > Presumably if your binaries demand version >=14, they are fairly recent.
 > I'm running with libc.so.12.14 built on May 4, and a recent kernel, so
 > I'd guess it's a kernel version problem ;-).  It might, however, be that
 > some very recent change to libc broke it without bumping the version number.

...if your binaries are linked against libc.so.12.xx, they will use
the library with the largest 12.xx automatically, but will complain if
the largest version is less than what they were linked against.

Sounds very much like the libraries were updated before the kernel was,
and they're using a system call not implemented in the old kernel.