Subject: /usr/include links and 'make build'
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1997 21:43:31
On May 13, I did a sup (-svod), edited src/Makefile to remove the
'make cleandir', then did a 'make build'.  The files in /usr/include/sys
and /usr/include/machine have their regular dates, but the links to
them in /usr/include are dated when the 'make includes' ran, and thus
most all of the world is getting rebuilt.

Now, I would not have supped at that time, but I was doing a distribution
and ran into the links/files problem mentioned by someone else.  While
looking at bsd.prog.mk, I notice that UPDATE is used in more places than
just the master Makefile.

So I have two questions:
Is the behavior (of links) I noted in the first paragraph expected, or
an anomaly?  And should I really be doing a 'make update' instead of
editing the master Makefile and doing a 'make build'?

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>