Subject: Re: KerberosIV setup instructions?
To: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1997 12:49:30
On Thu, 15 May 1997, Andrew Brown wrote:

> >I don't really care about Kerberos specifically, but I'd like to have some
> >way to telnet to my machine without sending cleartext passwords across
> >the internet, and the telnet clients I use have Kerberos support already.
>
> use skey?  or ssh?  i do...  :)

I use both (kerberos and ssh) and they each have advantages. Kerberos only
needs one initialization (one server and one shared secret per person &
per machine). If you have lots of folks who want encrypted support, it
scales much better.

ssh does better for just a few machines & users, or machines under
different administrative authorities. Plus it has scp, an encrypted copy
method.

If your telnet clients have kerberos support, are you already part of a
kerberos realm? If so, why not just join it?

Take care,

Bill