Subject: Re: GNU licence question
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1997 13:58:20
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> The incompatability is that if you distribute a binary with GPL'd code in
> it, all the source has to be GPL'd and distributed.

Yes.

> The "under terms of
> this license" phrase in the part which has been snipped is the killer.

Disclaimer: I am not a laywer. I'd welcome the clarifications of
someone more familiar with contract law and licencing than I am.

1. There appears to be nothing in the GNU CopyLeft which prohibits
placing additional terms and restrictions on a program distributed
under those terms.

2. As far as I can tell there is nothing the standard BSD licence
that would be violated if you distributed something under the terms
and restrictions of both that licence and the GNU CopyLeft.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'