Subject: diskless booting
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Sainty <David.Sainty@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1997 07:11:28
I'm trying to set up a (more or less) diskless boot.  I've run into a
problem that doesn't appear to be currently catered for.

I use the private class A network space (10.0.0.0).  This address
space is split up across a phenomenally large number of subnets. :)

My problem is that the diskless boot is implying a netmask of
255.0.0.0, where I really want 255.255.255.0.  NFS_BOOT_GATEWAY
doesn't help because it still won't use the gateway address to talk to
addresses inside its subnet.  I run rpc.bootparamd on a machine that
is on the same subnet, and it talks to that fine.  However, it still
needs to talk to the nfs server, which it cannot.

The rpc stuff is a little tricky so I'm not sure if I'm missing
something, is there a way to do this without resorting to bully
tactics and using IPs that produce the right netmask implicitly, or
patching the code?

Dave.