Subject: Re: Idea: /emul -> /usr/local/emul?
To: Scott Telford <st@epcc.ed.ac.uk>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1997 03:19:17
At 2:43 -0700 5/7/97, Scott Telford wrote:
>Wouldn't it be a good idea to make /emul in the standard distribution a
>symlink to, say, /usr/local/emul? IMHO, there doesn't seem to be much
>reason for it to be in the root filesystem (other than giving a nice
>short path), and if you've installed the full set of Linux shared
>libraries, it adds quite a few megabytes to your root which don't really
>need to be there.

A file is a file is a file, so this is precisely what I did on my sparc
with the old SunOS 4.1.4 libraries. The nice thing about symlinks is that
only programs that specifically look for them (and therefore know how to
deal with them) can "see" them. They are otherwise totally invisible.

	Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>