Subject: Re: System clock resolution and random numbers
To: None <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1997 13:18:36
> I just read an article where some SGI engineers are using Lava Lamps
> and color digitizing cameras for near-perfectly-random generators.
> Who wants to incorporate that into the kernel? :-)

I know of a US company which makes a "black box" which plugs into a
parallel port and which uses thermal noise to generate good random
numbers at a rate of 10 Kbit/s -- I think the box sells for $200.
Even though it's a while since I had interest in electronics at this
level, I would think that building something which exploits thermal
noise to get good random numbers shouldn't be all that difficult
(nice hobby project ;-).

Regards,

- H=E5vard