Subject: Re: Mail AutoResponder: here's the info you requested
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1997 14:33:45
On Tue, 6 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > I think the way it works is that you post a follow-up to the newsgroup,
> > > and the news<->mailing list gateway mails it to the list. The gateway'd
> > > have to be on the mailing list anyway, so it'd work. I think.
> >
> > But that completely defeats the purpose of only permitting list members
> > to post to the list, since anyone would be able to post to the
> > newsgroup, and hence to the list.
>
> True, but since the spammers could just subscribe themselves...
>
> Will majordomo barf on a fake address? I mean if it can't send back the
> "you're subscribed" message, will it unsubscribe you?

Most mailing lists now require you to verify that you want to subscribe by
mailing out an authentication code that you have to use to actually
subscribe. So, you ask to join, the list asks you if you're sure, and you
have to say yes. That way you can't sign up other people unless you can
both read and write their email.

Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@fls.portland.or.us - Fuji Landscape Service
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte