Subject: Re: System clock resolution and random numbers
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1997 17:12:18
"Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:
> At 11:42 PM 4/30/97 -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> >On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:11:10 -0700
> > "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I just read an article where some SGI engineers are using Lava Lamps
> > > and color digitizing cameras for near-perfectly-random generators.
> > > Who wants to incorporate that into the kernel? :-)
> >
> >...At this juncture, doing so would probably be a bad idea, since SGI
> >is attempting to patent the idea.
>
> Wow, that's dumb.
>
> I know: build a sheet of some material that conducts electricity when wet, but
> only on the wet spot.
>
> Attach a system to detect the wet spots on the sheet. Generate random number
> seed from the location and timing of the wet spots.
>
> Put sheet out in rain.
>
> Can I patent this as well? *hmmpffft*

You published it. In most of the world, that means you cannot patent
it anymore. In the USA, possibly up to a year from now. (This is why
RSA is not patented here, for instance).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ It's not easy having a good time    rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl