Subject: Re: rc.conf question
To: Michael K. Sanders <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/1997 16:48:37
>I'm curious how the following syntax came about:
>  if [ "$option" != NO ]; then
>Might it not be more clear if it were:
>  if [ "$option" = YES]; then
>This would also have the advantage that an option would default
>to not starting up if for some reason rc.conf did not set it
>explicitly. Comments?

as silly as it might look to you (and the two halves of my brain are
continually warring over this), it actually does make sense.  look
at it this way:

NO means NO.  anything else means yes (including the empty string) and is
usually arguments to the program.

sendmail_flags=NO		# means don't run sendmail
sendmail_flags="-bd -q1m"	# means run sendmail with these args
named_flags=NO			# means don't run named
named_flags=""			# means run named (with no args)

others (rwhod for example) don't get any args and so are simply NO/YES
programs (meaning if it's not NO, just run it).

|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----| (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet                               that goes *ping*!"      * "information is power -- share the wealth."