Subject: Re: System clock resolution and random numbers
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/1997 23:00:24
In article <199705040245.WAA13603@Twig.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> you write:

> Personally, I don't like this, unless the cd is a write-once CD and a
> given piece of the key is destroyed after being used.  Leaving the key
> accessible to anyone but the intended recipient is a Very Bad Idea.

In the Clancy book, special CD-ROM drives were used with a
higher-powered follow-behind laser that simply erased the bits used
already. When an entire CD was finished, they'd put it in a microwave
oven to be sure there was nothing left.

For typical not-quite-so-paranoid use, it'd be enough to rely on your
physical security though, otherwise you're likely hosed anyway.