Subject: No packets come out of my 3c509
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Manchek <manchek@cs.utk.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/1997 16:35:02
I've got a question about netbsd and my ether board if anyone can help...

I boot with the kcadp (1.2.1) and inst floppies, and I'm in single-user
mode.  The kernel found my 3c509 (TPO) during probe.  Now:  I can
ifconfig ep0 up, and the machine can ping itself, but when I try to
ping something else, just on the local net, no packets come out (this
from watching the lights on the hub).

I realize there are other ways of continuing the installation, but I'm
just curious as I've seen this happen twice now with different
machines, 3c509s, etc.  *Does* the kernel on the boot floppy have all
the drivers or do I need to install a real kernel before continuing?
Seems like if probe can identify it, the rest should work.

I found the DOS config util for the 3c509 and poked around with that,
turned off PnP, etc.  No effect.  This ether board and machine do work
fine w/ Linux and others.

I'd appreciate any hints.  Thanks!

-b

 v V V v V V V V v V v V v V v v V v v v v v V v V V v V v V v V v V V
** robert manchek                             manchek@spiderplant.com **
** spiderplant                             http://www.spiderplant.com **
** box 8260 knoxville tn 37996-0002         (423)525-3154 message/fax **