Subject: Re: Sensing disconnected modem
To: Mike Long <>
From: Rick Byers <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1997 17:30:03

Thats what I figured, but then cu refuses to access the line.  I like to
be able to talk directly to the modem so that I can login to the modem
server if something has screwed up so that PPP doesn't work (it's
happened).  Any ideas how I can convince cu to run on a line without CD?

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Mike Long wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:01:15 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Rick Byers <>
> >I recently installed a new motorolla modemsurfer modem, and I've noticed
> >that when it drops carrier - ppp doesn't see it, and so won't redial.  I
> >know I can use the lcp echo timeout to cause a disconnect, but it should
> >be able to use the CD signal, right?  However, in /etc/ttys, I've got
> >"local rtscts softcar" for the tty.  Without softcar or local I can't talk
> >to the modem with cu (and I expect chat wouldn't work either).  Could
> >softcar (ignore CD) be causing PPPd to ignore CD?  If so, how can I let
> >pppd know about CD, but still use cu to talk directly to the modem.
> Get rid of softcar.  If softcar is set, then pppd will never see CD
> deasserted, so it will never redial.  Using just 'local' works fine
> for me.
> --
> Mike Long <>
> "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands,
> hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400