Subject: Sensing disconnected modem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1997 10:01:15

I recently installed a new motorolla modemsurfer modem, and I've noticed
that when it drops carrier - ppp doesn't see it, and so won't redial.  I
know I can use the lcp echo timeout to cause a disconnect, but it should
be able to use the CD signal, right?  However, in /etc/ttys, I've got
"local rtscts softcar" for the tty.  Without softcar or local I can't talk
to the modem with cu (and I expect chat wouldn't work either).  Could
softcar (ignore CD) be causing PPPd to ignore CD?  If so, how can I let
pppd know about CD, but still use cu to talk directly to the modem.

IMHO it seems silly to REQUIRE CD to talk to a line, especially when the
only way around is to ignore CD entirely.  Maby MSR should be required,
but we should be able to talk to a disconnected modem at any time.

Any Suggestions?

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400