Subject: Re: mbuf leak (old)?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1997 10:51:59
On Fri, Apr 25, 1997 at 09:40:39AM +0200, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > Was there an mbuf leak in 1.2?
>
> Not on my machines, both running NetBSD-i386:

This machine of mine has lots of network load (it's a gateway, runs
9 PPP lines etc).

> On what kind of system do you experience that problem? What networking
> hardware? It might be the interface driver which loses mbufs.

P120, 32 MB RAM, 3c509 Ethernet, 9 PPP links over serial lines.

> > Is this some kind of special kernel memory which I will soon run out of?
>
> Yes, but the system will be able to allocat thousands of mbufs before you
> get into trouble.

No reason to panic, then.  I just thought I had seem some talk about a mbuf
leak on one of the NetBSD lists a long time ago..

Odd.  A news server which has received over 2 GB since last reboot (ie.
the byte count is negative in netstat -p tcp) reports only 16 mbufs in
use - still there are 246 KBytes allocated to network.  Why does it
allocate so much if it only needs a few K's?  Doesn't it ever release
the mbufs to the kernel pool?

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri