Subject: Question about NIS/Kerberos (kind of off topic).
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1997 18:11:24
I'm managing a local network which spans two physical networks and four
Class C address groups.

I'm trying to run NIS to get rid of having to maintain a dozen password
files with duplicate information.  The first net (x.x.20.x) handles the
NIS stuff OK.  The ypserv runs and everything can see it.  The second
net (x.x.22.x) can't see the 20.x YP server.  I've played around with
netmasks, broadcast addresses, everything I can think of.  The equipment
on the 21.x and 23.x are all on the same ethernet as the 20.x machine,
and all have x.x.20.255 set as their broadcast address.  They see the
ypserver just fine.

Here are the indicators of ignorance:

1.  Is it possible to give a ypbind client an explicit ypserv machine
    addreess instead of using the broadcast network to try and locate
    one by luck?  I've gotten the machines to the point where, according
    to tcpdump, they should be communicating.  Problem is, they don't.

2.  Is this a situation where a different password maintenance /
    propogation service might be indicated?

3.  Anyone got any other good suggestions?

obHookTo-Current:  This only started working with the recent addition of
Charles'(?)  ypserv code, and was in -current when I started playing with
it.
--
Dave Burgess  (The man of a thousand E-Mail addresses)
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom