Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1997 13:38:22
> From: Ted Lemon
>
>> From: Andrew Brown
>>
>> seems to me it should be pretty easy.  at *some* point of the loop
>> it decided what the address is for the given interface.  save this
>> for later (ie, after you've actually done the ifconfig) and then
>> add the route.
>
>Not true.  There may be more than one address per interface in each
>/etc/ifconfig.xxx file.  Also, not every address is an IP address.
>Also, the lines that specify IP addresses are not all formatted the
>same, and contain more information than just the IP address.
>Consistently getting just the IP address out of such a line would be
>a pain - you'd need to know how to parse an ifconfig command line, for
>all current and future versions of ifconfig.

interfaces with more than one address?  like ppp interfaces?  using
$name would still work (would't it?).

addresses that are not ip addresses?  check $af to see if it says
"inet" before you add the route.

incidentally, having just the hostname (or address) in the hostname.###
file worked for me for wuite a while.  i didn't even have to specify
"inet".

there is no parsing, since the netstart script needs to know how to
build the command anyway...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet