Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 14:44:24
> and i always thought that was "not right".  don't you want to have all
> local addresses (ie, all address on all interfaces) going through the
> loopback back to you?  it seems to work as it is (indicating to me that
> the entire statement is not needed) but wouldn't it be more correctly
> placed in the main loop after it ifconfigs the interface up?

Interesting.   When I was writing my DHCP client script, I mentally
edited that piece of the stock network setup code to do what you
suggested.   I think you are correct, and this should go in the
ifconfig loop, although I'm unsure how to implement it given the
format of the $ifconfig_xxx variables and the /etc/ifconfig.xxx file.

			       _MelloN_