Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 17:04:17
> From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain
>>Thus spake Andrew Brown
>> there's a small part of netstart (as it stands now) that says
>>    # use loopback, not the wire
>>    route add $hostname localhost
>> and i always thought that was "not right".  don't you want to have all
>> local addresses (ie, all address on all interfaces) going through the
>> loopback back to you?  it seems to work as it is (indicating to me that
>> the entire statement is not needed) but wouldn't it be more correctly
>> placed in the main loop after it ifconfigs the interface up?
>What if you have a standalone system?  The loopback interface is always

standalone systems should be fine too.  if you have no interfaces other
than lo0, then $hostname won't resolve to an address, will it?  so the
command doesn't work anyway...

then you dial in ppp (like i do sometimes) and you can still get to
your address (from the ppp interface) without specifying that it
go through loopback, can't you?

or am i completely lost here?

|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----| (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet                               that goes *ping*!"      * "information is power -- share the wealth."