Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 16:16:58
>> ifconfig_le0_1=inet 192.5.5.213 netmask 255.255.255.240 media UTP
>> ifconfig_le0_2=inet alias 128.45.1.17 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> ifconfig_le0_3=atalk <whatever>
>
>The one advantage I see to haveing all of the stuff for one interface in
>one file per interface as opposed to one mega file is that if the mega
>file grows, you could end up with (for example) le0 stuff in two different
>parts of the file. So to find all the stuff for one interface, you must
>search the whole file. With each interface's items in one file, you don't
>have to filter through other stuff.

while we're rambling on about this, there's something that's been bugging
my little brain for a while now...

there's a small part of netstart (as it stands now) that says

   # use loopback, not the wire
   route add $hostname localhost

and i always thought that was "not right".  don't you want to have all
local addresses (ie, all address on all interfaces) going through the
loopback back to you?  it seems to work as it is (indicating to me that
the entire statement is not needed) but wouldn't it be more correctly
placed in the main loop after it ifconfigs the interface up?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet