Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 13:00:45
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > Putting these values and options for a complex set of ifconfig's into the
> > netstart.conf file means we add a level of indirection that doesn't
> > (necassarily) gain us anything, and makes a file with (primarily)
> > boolean choices into a more complex beast than we need.
>
> Netstart.conf?   Why not rc.conf?   And why is it "complicated" to
> do something like:
>
> ifconfig_le0_1=inet 192.5.5.213 netmask 255.255.255.240 media UTP
> ifconfig_le0_2=inet alias 128.45.1.17 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig_le0_3=atalk <whatever>

The one advantage I see to haveing all of the stuff for one interface in
one file per interface as opposed to one mega file is that if the mega
file grows, you could end up with (for example) le0 stuff in two different
parts of the file. So to find all the stuff for one interface, you must
search the whole file. With each interface's items in one file, you don't
have to filter through other stuff.

Take care,

Bill