Subject: Re: Dumping to a DAT drive
To: Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 02:03:25
[ On Sun, April 13, 1997 at 22:30:40 (-0700), Don Lewis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Dumping to a DAT drive
>
> Also, dump has traditionally written an end of volume record (a special
> record of type TS_END) and an EOF marker at the end of the tape.  This
> is tough to do if you it's already banged into the hardware EOM.  I
> presume this is to tell restore to ask for the next tape volume and that
> that dump just didn't stop writing.

Hmmm... yes, I'd forgotten about that.  Shouldn't be a problem for most
4mm drives I'm told, but is a problem for many 8mm drives, and of course
most older QIC drives.

At least NetBSD's dump(8) has '-B' and you don't have to jump through
too many silly hoops backwards to specify the size of a tape you know to
be about 2,000,000,000 bytes.....  Now if only tape manufacturers were
more forthcoming with publishing exactly what and how they record things.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>