Subject: Re: DES contest
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1997 13:15:15
On 10 Apr 1997, Michael Graff wrote:

> Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> writes:
>
> > Anyone who wants to put his/her machine into use, might want to look at
> > http://www.des.sollentuna.se/ - and probably e-mail the team and ask for
> > NetBSD binaries.  I have already asked them for the source so I could
> > build the client for NetBSD/Sparc and /i386.
>
> > Yes, I know - this doesn't belong in here.. I just wanted to let you all
> > know about the contest (I have 4 NetBSD machines running the BSDI binary
> > at the moment).

	If we can get them to use uname() to check the OS type then
	running the SunOS & BSDI binaries on a NetBSD system should show
	up the correct stats on their page - removing the need for them
	to have specific NetBSD binaries available. Of course genuine
	NetBSD binaries would be preferrable (particularly for things like
	the arm32 port :), but the uname() change should be very simple
	for them to do...

	-- Can someone confirm if I'm right wrt to uname()?

> Here's an idea...  Why don't we all use a common email address
> and if we find the key give the 10% of the prize money to the NetBSD
> Foundation?

	Sounds like a great idea to me - Is anyone in core willing to
	setup a 'des-challenge@netbsd.org' alias? Otherwise I'm more
	than happy to setup 'des-netbsd@mono.org' or similar...

> I already mailed the DES group suggesting that each of the free unixes
> get 10% and the FSF get the rest.  I would not want to participate in
> an effort which gives away the money to a linux group only...

	That would be idea... but in order to be 'fair' I think we need
	to get a lot mroe NetBSD machines running the clients (and make
	sure they get reported as such asn not BSDI or similar :)

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more --'