Subject: Re: long long vs. -ansi...
To: None <christos@nyc.deshaw.com, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/1997 10:10:41
Slightly worse, old-style is probably gone in C9X; as I recall, the
signal handler problem is that we really want to pass two arguments
to signal handlers, but the canonical definition specifies
only one.

Perhaps we could do something ala wait2 and dup2, and define
	signal2(int, void (*)(int, our2ndarg));
and then be in a position to use full proper prototypes, and gain
the benefits of type checking.  ...

I'm sure this would change *some* code, but all of that code would be
detected by adding the prototype, and all of it is technically
incorrect under the standards...  :)

What is the 2nd argument?  Why do we need it?  Would it have applicability
to other systems, such that it should be considered for addition to some standard?

-s