Subject: Re: Suggestion: sup-categorie kern-depends
To: None <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1997 11:37:05
Paul Boven writes:
> This is not the first time I've been through this, so most of the
> problems weren't that hard to figure out. But given that we have the
> tools to prevent them, why do we need to go through this hassle?

-current is not intended for casual use -- its a constantly evolving
distribution. Because of the high degree of integration, it is almost
impossible to segregate out any particular section of the system as
being independent of the others at all times.

> I'd suggest adding a new category to sup, "kern-depends" e.g., that
> will track all the files needed to build a kernel.

That's probably all the files in the system. Changes in sh, gcc, and
dozens of other tools will conceivably impact kernel builds.

Sorry.

Personally, I'd say that your best bet is *not* to try to sup only a
section of -current but to take the whole thing if you intend to
follow -current. I realize this is often inconvenient, but doing
otherwise would be difficult.

Perry