Subject: Re: netatalk - what can I do with it?
To: Marc A. Boschma <marcb@bms.itg.telstra.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 21:03:01
On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Marc A. Boschma wrote:

> It appears to be so. I have yet to scope out the afpd configuration
> (it would be great if it's syntax and SAMBA's where close/identical).

Some folks use both, so it can't be too hideous.

> I'd actually like to see AFP over SSL as well, for links across the
> public Internet. I now have a cable modem, so I'm looking at all sorts
> of uses of a permanant connection...

The only problem would be that both sides need to use the same encryption.
Thus you'd need to do something Apple supports as otherwise you'd need to
also write a MacOS client. :-(

> >> I'll have to hunt out a site for netatalk...
>
> >The main one is at umich.edu. I'm interested in any others you might find.
>
> I went there. Didn't find much else in English.
>
> One question I do have is that I have a '532 with a cabletron
> scsi-ethernet box and I'm wondering if the '532 could support
> non-TCP/UP netatalk... ?

If it acts like an ethernet interface (it gets packets after they've gon
through sys/net/if_ethersubr.c), then it should work.

Take care,

Bill