Subject: Re: Alpha Multia - worth it?
To: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 17:42:37
> The good things about these machines is that they are cheap, fast, have PCMCIA
> support, and really fast graphics. And they're TINY.

yes, they're cheap (or, some people are selling them for cheap).

As far as raw CPU speed, they're pretty much between a Pentium-75 and
a Pentium-90.  That's not fast for any definition that I use.  (They
are significantly slower than similar-speed 21064-based systems.)
Their PCI bus interface is ... rather slow, and so transactions over
the PCI bus are slow.

They may support PCMCIA in hardware, but they don't under NetBSD.

Their graphics is on the PCI bus and is CPU-driven (even for
acceleration functions, the design is intended to be used with a fast
CPU).  Under NetBSD the acceleration isn't used, so it's not
particularly fast.  Even when the acceleration is used, it can't be
that fast because of the design of the system and graphics
accelerator.

They're tiny, but they also tend to fry themselves, as far as I've
seen.

cgd