Subject: Re: ntalk x talk
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 22:52:30
Paul Kranenburg wrote:
> > We install the NetBSD talk and talkd on our Solaris machines so that
> > they will speak ntalk instead of big-endian otalk.  Unfortunately,
> > this means they won't talk to most random Solaris machines on the net.
> > If the NetBSD talk and talkd would speak all three protocols (ntalk,
> > big-endian otalk, little-endian otalk), it would make my life easier.
>
> Yes, this would be nice.. if it can be made to work reliably. The major
> problem, I suppose, is making the call-back use the requested protocol.
>
> -pk

Not so much .. talkd can only explicitly say, which talk to use; i.e.
otalkd can write something like:

Message from Old_Talk_Daemon@saruman.ics.muni.cz at 22:48 ...
OLD talk: connection requested by dolecek@saruman.ics.muni.cz.
OLD talk: respond with:  otalk dolecek@saruman.ics.muni.cz

The problem araises again w/ BE/LE talk on the other way .. but
hopefully Gordon would solve it somehow ;-b

Jarda

--
Jaromir Dolecek             	ICS MU, Botanicka 68A, Brno, 60200, Czech Rep.
dolecek@ics.muni.cz			Tel.: +42-5-4151 2266