Subject: Re: ntalk x talky
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 22:08:15
Greg Hudson wrote:
> > I once toyed with the idea of adding support for both the old and
> > new protocols to our talkd, but did not pursue it far.  Still like
> > the idea though...
>
> Hrm, this ties into my job.
>
> We install the NetBSD talk and talkd on our Solaris machines so that
> they will speak ntalk instead of big-endian otalk.  Unfortunately,
> this means they won't talk to most random Solaris machines on the net.
> If the NetBSD talk and talkd would speak all three protocols (ntalk,
> big-endian otalk, little-endian otalk), it would make my life easier.

Okay, there must be two talk demons anyway (one on port 517 and one on 518).
ntalk shouldn't be touched, you have to make otalkd aware
of BE/LE clients "only". I wouldn't expect it's very easy - if it would be
easy, we wouldn't have ntalkd, but just BE/LE aware otalkd ;-)

Jarda

--
Jaromir Dolecek             	ICS MU, Botanicka 68A, Brno, 60200, Czech Rep.
dolecek@ics.muni.cz			Tel.: +42-5-4151 2266