Subject: proposed changes to config.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 14:51:01

  I'm doing some kernel work (an ISDN device driver and some ipsec
things), and I got tired of using an lndir to get a private copy of
the source. (What a pain.)
  I am awaiting a new disk, and don't have space for several copies of
- -current on this machine. Besides, I'm tired of editing my
dev/isa/files.isa everytime I realize I need a bug fix in -current :-)

  What I wanted was a way to say the "the kernel source is *there*",
but I want to compile the following files as well.

  Anyway, -current config is almost there, but I needed to read an
additional device definition, which *doesn't* fit into the kernel
config file.
  I changed config to read files.CONFIG if it exists in the same
directory where the CONFIG file was found.

  This does what I want. I don't need to modify the kernel sources.
There is, however, a couple of files that I may need to replace. I'd
rather just list them again in my config file. This seems to work,
(older files are replaced with newer definitions) but the dependancies
between .o files may be wrong.

  I've submitted a PR. Please tell me if you think there is something
else I should do instead.
  I'd update the man page, but it doesn't talk at all about what
files.* foo files are read.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: PGP key available.

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: latin1