Subject: Re: WARNING: significant change in netstart!
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1997 20:02:01
Hi,

You should be able to use diff to generate a patch from /usr/src/etc to
/etc (you're changes), and then patch that to a new /etc installation.  It
will obviously require some hand crafting for any non-trivial changes, but
it's the trivial changes that are annoying...

Hope this helps,
	Rick

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about.
>
> Is there a good way to update /etc without manually having to check each
> file and patch the new ones so that they match the functionality of the
> old ones?
>
> I just did this about a month ago, and while I found the changes worth the
> effort, doing it on a regular basis makes me twitch.
>
> Could you tar up just the changes so that it would be easier to install
> them?
>
> Brad
>

> > I've just committed a significant change to the way /etc/netstart
> > works.
> >
> > We no longer use /etc/hostname.xxN files -- we now use /etc/ifconfig.xxN
> > files. These files aren't special format the way the old hostname
> > files were -- they are simply lists of arguments for ifconfig, as in
> >
> > 	inet foo.bar.com netmask 0xffffff00 media UTP
> >
> > Note that they can also be multiple lines long, so you can put in
> > configuration information for multiple types of networks at once --
> > which will be useful once the IPv6 and other support goes in.
> >
> > A new variable has been added to /etc/rc.conf, called
> > "net_interfaces"; if set to "NO", no network interfaces are
> > configured. If set to "DEFAULT", the network interfaces configured are
> > generated via "ifconfig -l". If set to a list, as in
> >
> > 	net_interfaces="de0 de1"
> >
> > only those interfaces are configured.
> >
> > Lastly, you may choose to add variables of the form "ifconfig_xxN" to
> > your rc.conf instead of having /etc/ifconfig.xxN files -- each of
> > these lines is treated as though it were the first line of a
> > /etc/ifconfig.xxN file.
> >
> > Although this sounds complicated (probably because we've provided too
> > many options on how to configure things), it should, in fact, simplify
> > configuration. Right now, its impossible to remember the format of
> > a /etc/hostname.xxN file without reading netstart -- now, the format
> > is trivial.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > Perry

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/