Subject: WARNING: significant change in netstart!
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1997 14:44:06
I've just committed a significant change to the way /etc/netstart
works.

We no longer use /etc/hostname.xxN files -- we now use /etc/ifconfig.xxN
files. These files aren't special format the way the old hostname
files were -- they are simply lists of arguments for ifconfig, as in

	inet foo.bar.com netmask 0xffffff00 media UTP

Note that they can also be multiple lines long, so you can put in
configuration information for multiple types of networks at once --
which will be useful once the IPv6 and other support goes in.

A new variable has been added to /etc/rc.conf, called
"net_interfaces"; if set to "NO", no network interfaces are
configured. If set to "DEFAULT", the network interfaces configured are
generated via "ifconfig -l". If set to a list, as in

	net_interfaces="de0 de1"

only those interfaces are configured.

Lastly, you may choose to add variables of the form "ifconfig_xxN" to
your rc.conf instead of having /etc/ifconfig.xxN files -- each of
these lines is treated as though it were the first line of a
/etc/ifconfig.xxN file.

Although this sounds complicated (probably because we've provided too
many options on how to configure things), it should, in fact, simplify
configuration. Right now, its impossible to remember the format of
a /etc/hostname.xxN file without reading netstart -- now, the format
is trivial.

Enjoy!

Perry