Subject: Re: Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server updated...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1997 07:54:19

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:35:46 GMT, darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
wrote:

>Wrong.  It's what enables them to give you the domain name server and
>other information you need to connect without having to hardcode it
>into your dialup stack.  I have run ISPs for years and have never
>used DHCP but we still used dynamic IPs.  That's the norm.

Unfortunately, Grey Wolf's misconception is a common one. Before Morning
Star became Ascend, I remember having discussions with the engineers of
a prominent Unix vendor who wanted our PPP to "support DHCP". When we
probed for more details, it turned out what they wanted was dynamic
address assignment, which we already had (as a part of IPCP negotiation,
which has nothing to do with DHCP)(unless the server ppp decides what
address to give the client based on a DHCP request, that is...)