Subject: Re: strptime() missing?
To: Ben Tober <tober@bbnplanet.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 13:18:16
> > Trying to build mSQL v2b5, I noticed that we don't have strptime() (which
> > is required by mSQL).  Any solutions (other than reading the stunos man
> > page and writing strptime() from scratch)?
> >
> I noticed this too (also when trying to build mSQL).  I haven't actually made
> the effort to fix it yet, but I did not from reading the code that mSQL only
> ever calls strptime() with one particular format string.  It's probably easier
> to modify mSQL so it doesn't need strptime() than to go and write strptime(),
> although, having strptime() for the sake of orthogonality with strftime() is
> probably a good general idea.

I was going to write strptime(), but didn't have a good description of how
to handle error conditions.  I then grabbed /pub/util/strptime-1.1.shar.gz
from ftp.cenatls.cena.dgac.fr and was able to build mSQL.

I still think it would be good to have strptime() in libc.  It could be used
by several binaries...

  -jm

--

                         1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET Mon-Fri