Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@web.net>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1997 12:48:19
In message <m0w9bST-0009vfC@kuma.web.net> Greg A. Woods writes:
: I really wish the FreeBSD folk had read the hier(7) manual page too and
: discovered /usr/contrib.  Just because they did it ``wrong'' doesn't
: mean everyone else should fall in step behind them -- NetBSD in the
: least!  ;-)

You could argue both ways on this.  I agre that /usr/contrib might
have been a better place for this stuff, but /usr/local is now the
default.  The feeling at the time, as far as I can recall, was that
most people already have /usr/local/bin in their path, but few have
/usr/contrib.  Almost nobdy uses that currently, it was felt, but
everybody uses /usr/local.

The reason that I would strongly suggest (but not dictate) /usr/local
is that it is now a wide spread practice, the hier(7) man page not
withstanding.

In theory, you should be able to say make PREFIX=/usr/contrib and it
will do that which you desire.

If the consensus of the NetBSD community is to be correct, but not
compatible with others, then it should be a simple matter of placing

.if (${OPSYS} == "NetBSD")
PREFIX?=/usr/contrib
.else
PREFIX?=/usr/local
.endif

into bsd.ports.mk.

Just my two cents.  If the consensus goes against my opinion, that
doesn't impact my offer to integrate NetBSD changes into the FreeBSD
ports tree.

Warner