Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1997 14:00:33
[ On Tue, March 25, 1997 at 11:11:05 (-0700), Warner Losh wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
>
> A speacial case could be made in the FreeBSD bsd.port.mk file if
> NetBSD wanted to have a different PREFIX than other systems.  However,
> I'd strong suggest that you'd want to keep most of the same defaults
> to remain compatible and to not violate the principle of least
> surprise.

I was rather purturbed about FreeBSD packages using /usr/local when I
did my first FreeBSD install in a long time.  I used the ports packages
due to the convenience and need to get it all working in a hurry, and I
didn't worry about using binaries because the machine was mostly
isolated once it was installed.  I did find I had to create another
hierarchy "/local" once I was done though so I could keep all the truely
local crap separate from 3rd party stuff I'd installed in binary form.

I really wish the FreeBSD folk had read the hier(7) manual page too and
discovered /usr/contrib.  Just because they did it ``wrong'' doesn't
mean everyone else should fall in step behind them -- NetBSD in the
least!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>