Subject: snapshot of current for i386 up on ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1997 02:16:55
For the convenience of all, I've put up a snapshot of -current in...

ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snap-970324/NetBSD-1.2D/

The following is the contents of the README.first file in the
directory in question.

This is a NetBSD-1.2D/i386 snapshot, dated 24 March, 1997

THIS IS A SNAPSHOT OF THE -current TREE, NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE.

It will doubtless have bugs! It is provided as a service to
experienced users who wish to run a more recent version of the
operating system and do not wish to upgrade to -current by hand. It is
NOT a release!

NOTE: This is the first release in which users are actually expected
to try to run for a brief time with a "GENERIC" kernel. You may find
that various devices, like the Mitsumi CD ROM driver, make this
"hard". Please give me feedback. I may yank some of these devices out
of future install kernels.

The "INSTALL" document is a quickly hacked up version of the 1.2
documentation. It is somewhat bogus. In particular...

1. INSTALL contains lots of info about the differences between 1.1 and
   1.2 -- it contains nothing about differences between 1.2 and
   1.2D. It also refers in many places to 1.2 instead of
   1.2D. Sorry. I was in a hurry. I'll fix it "later".
2. INSTALL contains references to several floppies that haven't been
   built yet, including "insts12D.fs", "upgr12D.fs", and
   "upgrs12D.fs". I know they aren't here. I haven't gotten around to
   building them. I'll do that "soon". Meanwhile, installs on four meg
   machines are sketchy, and upgrades will have to be done by hand
   (which isn't especially hard, actually -- you can even use
   inst12D.fs to do it if you choose not to load the installation
   script and you know what you are doing.)

Enjoy!

Perry E. Metzger