Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/1997 01:39:54
[ On Mon, March 24, 1997 at 11:30:12 (EST), Mike Long wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
>
> I would not consider the contents of the ports tree to be 'vendor
> code'.  The ports tree and binary packages are created by users for
> other users.  None of it is maintained by the NetBSD project (although
> the people who do maintain it may also work on NetBSD), so it isn't
> NetBSD code.  /usr/local is the proper place for it.

Sorry, but that's not quite true.  The ports tree is code that can be
considered to have been "contributed" to NetBSD.  Where it gets
installed is definitely a decision of the NetBSD project, and *not* the
original suppliers, nor the users.  As such it does *not* belong in
/usr/local.  Prior art (eg. 4.4BSD, BSDI's BSD/OS, etc.) suggests
/usr/contrib as a more appropriate place.

>From hier(7) on NetBSD-1.2:

     /usr/    contains the majority of user utilities and applications

              contrib/  large packages contributed to Berkeley by outside par-
                        ties

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>