Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/1997 12:54:06
On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Jim Wise wrote:

> Well, I was taking it as given that we'll have to write whatever from
> scratch.

This is Just Not Worth It. The fact that we don't have a proper
packages system at this point (despite years of discussions) is a
pretty strong indication that nobody out there is really all that
terribly interested in devoting his life to maintaining this sort
of thing. To me, that says it would be a very good idea to go with
the FreeBSD system and be as compatable as we can with them. They've
done a lot of work in this area and I've heard noises that they
would be willing to look at a combined `BSD ports' package; let's
take advantage of this.

If that means installing stuff under /usr/local rather than
/usr/contrib, well, I don't like that very much, but it's a price
I'm willing to pay.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates